Teacher: Miss Ascroft
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Gee and Miss Wakefield
Welcome to Farah class! We are named after Sir Mo Farah, who is the most successful British track athlete in modern Olympic Games history. Farah moved to England from Somalia in 1992, at the age of 8 and speaking very little English. Through hard work, perseverance and resilience, Farah has become the most decorated athlete in British athletics. In 2017 Sir Mo Farah was knighted by the Queen for his services to athletics. Throughout this year we will be learning lots about Sir Mo Farah and will be replicating his commitment and dedication to inspire our own learning. We have already enjoyed practising the Mobot!
“No matter what or where you come from, if you work hard at something you can achieve it.” - Sir Mo Farah
In Year 2 we will be learning about lots of exciting topics including Failsworth, The Great Fire of London, Florence Nightingale, Deserts and Animals. Throughout these topics we will be using the Key Skills: Communication, Application of Maths, ICT, Working with others, Improving our own learning and performance and Problem Solving.
We encourage and support the children to read daily both in and out of school. We hope that all the children will enjoy reading a range of books, huddled in a tent in our camping themed reading area! The children can also take books home from the reading area weekly. Children will be provided with a log in for Bug Club where they can access online reading books.
At South Failsworth Primary School a positive attitude to learning and good behaviour is celebrated using our reward system. Children are awarded mission merits for following the Secrets of Success. Their learning and behaviour are also celebrated in assemblies.
In Year 2 we take part in an exciting linking project with St Hilda’s Primary School. The children enjoy meeting new friends and communicating with them throughout the year. We visit each other’s schools, watch a theatre performance and complete team building activities at Alexandra Park.
Nationally, children in Year 2 complete statutory assessments called SATs. These assessments will take place in May and will consist of maths, reading and spelling, punctuation and grammar (SPAG) tests. A meeting will be held later in the year where more information will be given about these assessments.
- Homework books are given out on a Friday and are to be returned on Thursdays.
- Spellings will be given out on Fridays and children will complete a weekly spelling tests on Thursdays.
- Reading books will be changed regularly. Books will be changed once they have been read and recorded in the Reading Record book. Please ensure you child has their reading book with them every day.
- PE lessons will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Please ensure your child has their full PE kit in school throughout the week.
- At South Failsworth Primary School we use an app called Seesaw to communicate with parents. Throughout the year I will be uploading photos of the children’s learning and informing you of any important announcements.