Class Teacher: Miss Bizarro
Teaching Assistant: Miss Edgar
About Stephen Hawking
Stephen Hawking (1942-2018) was a determined and inspirational British scientist, professor and author who performed ground-breaking work in physics and cosmology. Shortly after his 21st birthday, he was diagnosed with ALS. However, in spite of being wheelchair bound and dependent on a computerised voice system for communication, Stephen continued to combine family life with his research and his outlook on life continues to motivate people worldwide.
Welcome to Hawking class! We are named after Stephen Hawking, whose research into cosmology and quantum gravity contributed to mankind’s understanding of the universe. Hawking believed that intelligence was made up of hard work and was a champion of insatiable curiosity and the belief in oneself. “Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”
- Reading and Maths Journals will be given out each Friday. Children must complete an activity from each of these books and return them by the following Thursday.
- Learning Journals will be given out at the start of each half term and will be due in on a Thursday, a week before we break up.
- Spellings are given out on Fridays and tested on the following Thursday.
- Children will be provided with login details for Bug Club, where they can continue to access a range of books which have been appropriately selected for each individual. Your child should be reading for at least 10-15 minutes a night. The date started and completed, book title and comment about the book should be entered by your child into their Reading Record. Please check your child’s reading record on a weekly basis to ensure that this is kept up to date.
- Paper books can be read in conjunction with this and can also be recorded in reading record books.
- Your child will receive a sticker on their class reading chart for each book they read and record.
- We would like the children to read as much as possible and encourage you to enjoy reading with your child at home. This can be any form of reading: online books, comics, newspapers etc.
- Children’s login details for Times Tables Rockstars will be stuck into their Maths Journals in order for them to continue accessing it on a regular basis. Being able to recall multiplication facts at speed will help with multiplication and division calculations as well as work on fractions and decimals.
- Times table tests will be held every Thursday.
- Please ensure that every item of your child’s (including uniform) is labelled with their name.
- PE lessons for this half term will be on Tuesdays with swimming on Wednesdays. Please ensure your child has their full PE kit in school on these days. If your child wears earrings, we ask that these are also removed on these days.
- You will receive regular updates about your child’s learning in school via their Seesaw account.
We look forward to the year ahead.
Miss Bizarro and Miss Edgar