Information about our School Governors
The governors are responsible for monitoring and evaluating the performance and effectiveness of the school, for ensuring that the budget is managed prudently and for supporting our excellent staff.
The 3 core strategic functions of the South Failsworth Primary School Governing Body are:
- Providing strategic direction including responsibility for achieving the school’s vision
- Creating robust accountability through ensuring that teaching and learning is key to all decisions and monitoring and evaluating the quality of learning
- Monitoring the financial accounts and ensuring value for money
The Role of a Governor at South Failsworth Primary School
School governors provide strategic leadership and accountability in schools. Governors appoint the Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher. It is governors who hold the main responsibility for finance in schools, and it is governors who work with the Headteacher to make the tough decisions about balancing resources.
The role of the governing board is a strategic one; its key functions are to:
- set the aims and objectives for the school
- set the policies for achieving those aims and objectives
- set the targets for achieving those aims and objectives
- monitor and evaluate the progress the school is making towards achievement of its aims and objectives
- be a source of challenge and support to the Headteacher (a critical friend)
The Governing Body of South Failsworth Primary School consists of 14 positions and was reconstituted on 5th March 2018 and is now made up of:
- 2 Staff Governors (including the Headteacher)
- 6 Elected Parent Governors (2 vacancies)
- 1 Local Authority Governor
- 5 Co-opted Governors (1 vacancy)
Staff Governors are members of the teaching and non-teaching staff, including the Headteacher.
Parent Governors are elected by you, to represent you, the parents / guardians of children attending the school.
Local Authority Governors are appointed by Oldham Council.
To view more information about our Governors, please click on the profile links below
- Mr Peter Kershaw – Co-opted – Chair of Governors - Profile
- Mrs Vicki Foy – Headteacher
- Mrs Ann Hanaghan – Co-opted - Profile
- Mrs Charlotte Jackson – Co-opted - Profile
- Mrs Fran Lautman – Local Authority - Profile
- Mr Mike Henry - Parent - Profile
- Mrs Wendy Milner - Staff - Profile
- Mr Sam Wardleworth - Co-opted - Profile
- Mrs Amanda Wait - Parent - Profile
- Mrs Sara Richards-Newton - Parent
- Mr Liam Tobin - Parent
- Mr Ben Tanner - Parent
- Mrs Samantha Wait - Co-opted
- Miss Stacey Nelligan - Parent
All of our Governors term of office is 4 years which runs from 1st May 2015 to 30th April 2019 unless otherwise stated in their profile page.
A committee structure is in place that enables the Governing Body to function in a systematic and efficient manner.
The committee membership has been negotiated after taking into account the skill and experience of the governors and approved by the Governing Body.
All the governors are encouraged to serve a minimum of one of the three main committees:
- Committee for School Improvement (CSI) - Chair - Mrs Ann Hanaghan
- Finance and Legal - Chair - Mr Peter Kershaw
- Buildings and Health & Safety - Chair - Mr Peter Kershaw
Although governors agree to serve on specific committees there is no restriction on any governors widening their respective experience by requesting to attend any committee meetings.
- Senior Staff Appointments
- Disciplinary, Grievances and Complaints
- Head Teachers Performance objectives
- Pay and Performance
- Significant Change Group
Attendance Record of Governors
- Full Governing Body = 81%
- CSI Committee =95 %
- Finance and Legal Committee = 95%
- Building and Health & Safety Committee = 82%
How you can contact the Governing Body
We always welcome suggestions, feedback and ideas from parents/carers. We also like parents to come along and take part in events that are happening in school and help and encourage their child to ensure that they become a valued member of society and a good citizen. You can contact the Chair of Governors via the school office.