EYFS - RECEPTION
Reception Class Teachers: Mrs Barker & Miss Kenyon
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Blair, Mrs Hall, Miss Povah, Mrs McNeish, Mrs Wheeler & Mrs Cronshaw
Welcome to Reception!
We have chosen topics and planned a curriculum which we hope will spark the children’s curiosity and ignite their love of learning.
To begin this school year, we will be completing a whole-school project based on the book ‘Here We Are – Notes for Living on Planet Earth’ by Oliver Jeffers. We plan to use this book as a stimulus to support the children whilst they settle into our school environment and to promote discussions around their feelings and emotions at this time.
The children will also be learning about a variety of other exciting topics this year including: traditional tales, kings and queens, animals, pirates and marvellous minibeasts. In addition, the children will have the opportunity to lead their own learning during our ‘children’s choice’ topic in the summer term.
We are a school that celebrates reading and in Reception we want to promote a love of reading in each and every child. Therefore we will share stories and rhymes with the children every day in class and we will encourage and support the children to read daily both in and out of school.
- Please feel free to share any information with your child’s teacher, this could be a small message at the door (however trivial this may feel) or if you require a more in-depth conversation, then we will be happy to arrange a telephone appointment with you. We recognise that nobody knows your child as well as you do and we value all of your contributions.
- We use a secure online platform called ‘Tapestry’ to create online learning journeys for every child in Foundation. Tapestry enables you to follow your child’s individual progress closely whilst allowing you and your child to reflect upon their achievements by sharing these observations with them. Please feel free to leave a comment on the observations. Likewise, we would love you to add your own observations so that we can discover the learning and exploration that your child embarks on at home too.
- Throughout the school we use a reward system to celebrate and encourage a positive attitude towards learning. Children are awarded mission merits for showing desired learning behaviours and this is celebrated in class.
- Phonics is a crucial part of your child’s learning in Reception and each Friday you will receive a Tapestry message to inform you of what your child has been learning during their phonics sessions that week. There are also lots of fun and engaging phonics games that you can play for free at phonicsplay.co.uk or www.phonicsbloom.com. We would also recommend that you follow ‘Phonics Family’ on Facebook for practical activities and ideas to use at home.
- Once your child receives an individual reading book, please ensure this book, along with your child’s reading comments book, is in school every day. We will listen to your child read at least once a week and we will write a comment to inform you of their progress. Please use the reading comments book to inform us of how your child is progressing with their reading at home.
- We would love your child to enjoy as many books as possible during their time in Reception. We strongly recommend becoming a member of Failsworth library and there are also many books for you and your child to enjoy online at http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/.
- Each class has a ‘Class Meerkat’ which will be sent home with one child every Friday. Each Meerkat comes with a little diary. We would love you to use this to add some pictures, a drawing or notes about the adventures that your child and the Meerkat have enjoyed together. Please return the Meerkat to school before the following Wednesday to enable us to share your child’s ‘Meerkat News’ with the class before sending it home with the next child.
- On a Friday afternoon, one child from each class will be awarded with a special ‘Star of the week’ certificate to recognise and celebrate an incredible achievement within their learning. (A picture will be shared with you via Tapestry on a Friday afternoon.)
We hope your child has a wonderful time in Reception!
Thank you in advance for your support.