eyfs - nursery
Nursery Class Teacher: Mrs Kempson
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Foran & Miss McHugh
Welcome to Nursery!
We have chosen topics and planned a curriculum which we hope will spark the children’s curiosity and ignite their love of learning.
To begin this school year, we will be completing a whole-school project based on the book ‘Here We Are – Notes for Living on Planet Earth’ by Oliver Jeffers. We plan to use this book as a stimulus to support the children whilst they settle into our school environment, and to promote discussions around their feelings and emotions at this time.
The children will also be learning about a variety of other exciting topics this year including: traditional tales, kings and queens, animals, pirates and marvellous minibeasts. In addition, the children will have the opportunity to lead their own learning during our ‘children’s choice’ topic in the summer term.
We are a school that celebrates reading and in Nursery we want to promote a love of reading in each and every child. Therefore, we will share stories and rhymes with the children every day in class, and we will encourage and support the children to read daily both in and out of school. Recognising familiar logos is a great way to develop early literacy skills.
- Please feel free to share any information with your child’s teacher, this could be a small message at the door (however trivial this may feel) or if you require a more in-depth conversation, then we will be happy to arrange a telephone appointment with you. We recognise that nobody knows your child as well as you do and we value all of your contributions.
- We use a secure online platform called ‘Tapestry’ to create online learning journeys for every child in Foundation. Tapestry enables you to follow your child’s individual progress closely whilst allowing you and your child to reflect upon their achievements by sharing these observations with them. Please feel free to leave a comment on the observations. Likewise, we would love you to add your own observations so that we can discover the learning and exploration that your child embarks on at home too.
- Rhyme Time, then moving onto Phase 1 Phonics, is a crucial part of your child’s learning in Foundation and each Friday you will receive a Tapestry message to inform you of what your child has been learning during their Rhyme time or Phonics sessions that week.
- We will open our class library in January and your child will have the opportunity to borrow a bedtime story book for you to read and explore at home. The library will be open on Fridays so we ask that you bring in your comments book and previous library book in a named bag so your child can take away their next book.
- Feel free to use the comments book to write down when you’ve shared stories at home too, even comment on what your child’s opinion of books were. You never know, you might come across a new family favourite!
- We would love your child to enjoy as many books as possible during their time in Nursery. We strongly recommend becoming a member of Failsworth library and there are also many books for you and your child to enjoy online at http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/.
- Each class has a ‘Class Meerkat’ which will be sent home with one child every Friday. Each Meerkat comes with a little diary. We would love you to use this to add some pictures, a drawing or notes about the adventures that your child and the Meerkat have enjoyed together. Please return the Meerkat to school before the following Wednesday to enable us to share your child’s ‘Meerkat News’ with the class before sending it home with the next child.
We hope your child has a wonderful time in Nursery!
Thank you in advance for your support.