Class Teacher: Miss James
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Gee & Mrs Wakefield
Welcome to Sharman class. We are named after Helen Sharman – the first British astronaut and woman in space. This year we will be finding out all about her. She was born on 30th May 1963. After responding to a radio advertisement asking for applicants to be the first British astronaut, Helen Sharman was selected for the mission live on ITV on 25 November 1989, ahead of nearly 13,000 other applicants. The programme was known as Project Juno and was a cooperative Soviet Union - British mission. In 1991 after 18 months of intense flight training, Helen travelled on a Russian Soyuz Rocket into space. She spent eight days orbiting the earth completing several different experiments. Helen now works as the Operations Manager for the chemistry department at Imperial College London.
To ensure a smooth transition from Reception into Year 1, we will be providing the children with lots of opportunities to learn through play as they would have done in Early Years. As the year progresses and the children settle, there will be less play based learning and more structured lessons.
To begin this school year, we will be completing a whole-school project based on the book ‘Here We Are – Notes for Living on Planet Earth’ by Oliver Jeffers. We feel this will create a fantastic opportunity for the children to discuss their emotions and well-being at this time and help with their transition back to school.
Later in Year 1, we will be learning about all kinds of exciting topics, including Remembrance, Sir Robert Peel and Amazing Africa. In Science we will be learning about plants, materials, senses, animals and changing seasons. Throughout these topics we will be using the Key Skills: Communication, Application of Maths, ICT, Working with others, Improving our own learning and performance and Problem Solving.
We encourage and support the children to read daily both in and out of school. The children will enjoy listening and sharing stories every day in class. They will also continue to have access to a variety of online reading books using their log in for Bug Club.
At South Failsworth Primary School a positive attitude to learning and good behaviour is celebrated using our reward system. Children are awarded mission merits for following the Secrets of Success. Their learning and behaviour are also celebrated in class.
- We will share your child’s learning with you through the Seesaw app. This will include videos and photos of work they have done individually and in groups. We will also use this app to communicate any important messages or reminders.
- Children will receive spellings via the Seesaw app on a Thursday ready for a test the following week. Please ensure that you help your child to practise these at home.
- Reading books will be changed once a week. The books will only be changed if they are read at home and recorded in the yellow Reading Record book. Remember, each recorded read counts towards the 100 reads award.
- Children will also have access to books, matched to their current reading level, on the Bug Club website (https://www.activelearnprimary.co.uk/). Children will have an individual password to access the books which will be allocated to them each half term.
- Please ensure that every item of your child’s clothing and their book bag are clearly labelled with their name.
- PE lessons will be on Tuesday and Friday. Please send your child to school wearing their PE kits on these days.
We are very excited to work with you and your children this year.
Miss James, Mrs Gee & Mrs Wakefield