Teacher: Miss Kenyon
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Gee and Mrs Timms
Welcome to Lennon Class!
As our British inspirational person, we have chosen to name ourselves after someone who is one of the most influential musicians in history. John Lennon was an English singer, songwriter and artist who rose to worldwide fame as a founding member of the rock band the Beatles, arguably the biggest band the world has ever seen. His catchy song lyrics in hits such as Come together, Lucy in the sky with diamonds, Strawberry Fields Forever and I want to hold your hand have ensured that the love for the Beatles and their songs has been passed down from generation to generation. John Lennon used his fame and influence in order to draw attention to world issues that were happening at the time. During his solo career, he released numerous songs against war and inequality, and established himself as a figure-head for promoting world peace. His most iconic song, ‘Imagine’, is a perfect example in which he promotes the idea of harmony and unity amongst everyone throughout the world. His lyrics teach us the importance of kindness and mutual respect for each other which are just some of the positive values we hope to promote in Lennon class. Songs and lyrics are a great way of helping people to learn and remember, so in our class we aim to take influence from our British inspirational person by using educational songs when appropriate to learn lots of important facts!
We will also be enjoying some other fantastic topics in Year 2 including learning about Failsworth, The Great Fire of London, Famous Nurses, Poles Apart and the United Kingdom.
In Science we will be learning about plants, materials, health, living things, habitats and lifecycles.
Throughout these topics we will be using the Key Skills: Communication, Application of Maths, ICT, Working with others, Improving our own learning and performance and Problem Solving.
We encourage and support the children to read daily both in and out of school. The children will enjoy listening and sharing stories every day in class. They will also continue to have access to a variety of online reading books using their log in for Bug Club.
At South Failsworth Primary School a positive attitude to learning and good behaviour is celebrated using our reward system. Children are awarded mission merits for following the Secrets of Success. Their learning and behaviour are also celebrated in class.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the children did not take part in the Year 1 Phonics Screening Check in June 2021. As a result, the children are now required to take this check during the Autumn term in Year 2.
Nationally, children in Year 2 complete statutory assessments called SATs. These assessments will take place in May and will consist of maths, reading and spelling, punctuation and grammar (SPAG) tests. A meeting will be held later in the year where more information will be given about these assessments.
- New spellings will be given out on Fridays and your child will bring home a sheet to practise these on. Please try and practise these every day at home. The children will then be tested on these words the following Friday.
- Children will be provided with two reading books which will be changed once a week. Books will be changed once they have been read and recorded in the Reading Record book. Please ensure your child has their reading book with them every day.
- Children will also be expected to access Times Tables Rockstars regularly. By the end of Year 2, children are expected to know all of their 2, 3, 5 and 10 times tables and this is a fun and interesting way which aids their learning and helps their confidence grow!
- Homework – children will have a learning journal where they can complete a project of their choice linked to an area of their learning. This is completed once every half term.
- We would like all children to continue to come to school in their PE kits on the days when they have PE lessons in school.
- At South Failsworth Primary School we use an app called Seesaw to communicate with parents. Throughout the year I will be uploading photos of the children’s learning and informing you of any important announcements.
Thank you in advance for your support,
Miss Kenyon and the Year 2 Team