Class Teacher: Mrs Wardleworth
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Houghton
About Stephen Hawking
Stephen Hawking (1942-2018) was a determined and inspirational British scientist, professor and author who performed ground-breaking work in physics and cosmology. Shortly after his 21st birthday, he was diagnosed with ALS. However, in spite of being wheelchair bound and dependent on a computerised voice system for communication, Stephen continued to combine family life with his research and his outlook on life continues to motivate people worldwide.
Welcome to Hawking class! We are named after Stephen Hawking, whose research into cosmology and quantum gravity contributed to mankind’s understanding of the universe. Hawking believed that intelligence was made up of hard work and was a champion of insatiable curiosity and the belief in oneself. “Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”
- Children will have a Learning Journal to submit at the end of each half term in order to promote their topic work in History, Geography or Science.
- Along with their homework, children will also receive their weekly spellings on a Friday and will be tested the following Thursday.
- Your child will continue to access Bug Club online for their class reading books (reminder log-in and new passwords will be sent home). Your child should be reading for at least 10-15 minutes a night and should try to complete a Bug Club book at least every two weeks. The date started and completed, book title and comment about the book should be entered by your child. Please check your child’s reading record on a weekly basis and sign/comment if you read with your child. Paper books can be read in conjunction with the online books and can also be recorded in the reading record book.
- Your child will receive a sticker on their class reading chart for each book they read and record.
- Please encourage your child to continue using Times Tables Rockstars. Being able to recall multiplication facts at speed will help with multiplication and division division calculations as well as work on fractions and decimals. Times table tests will be held every Thursday.
- Please ensure that every item of your child’s (including uniform) is labelled with their name.
- PE lessons for this half term will be on Tuesdays with swimming on Wednesdays. Please ensure your child has their full PE kit in school on these days. If your child wears earrings, we ask that these are also removed on these days.
- You will receive regular updates about your child’s learning in school via their Seesaw account.
We look forward to the year ahead.