Class Teacher: Mr Franklin
About Marcus Rashford
Marcus Rashford MBE (born 31 October 1997) is an English professional footballer who plays as a forward for Premier League club Manchester United and the England national team.
He is also a campaigner against racism, homelessness and child hunger in the United Kingdom and has been praised for using his platform to be a political activist and philanthropist to drive societal change. For his efforts, he has received widespread praise, and has been recognised for his efforts from organisations both in and outside of sport, and was subject of a mural painted by street artist Akse in Withington.
Welcome to Rashford class! We are named after the inspirational footballer and campaigner, Marcus Rashford, who has enjoyed success both on and off the pitch. Playing as a forward for both Manchester United and England, he has already scored over 100 goals as well as helping his club win the FA Cup, EFL Cup, FA Community Shield and UEFA Europa League. However it is work off the field that has helped him earn special awards including appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE), where he has continuously campaigned to end UK child poverty.
- Homework (learning journey) details will be sent out via Seesaw each half term.
- Spellings will be sent out via Seesaw on Fridays and tested on the following Thursday.
- Your child will continue to access Bug Club online for their class reading books. Your child should be reading for at least 10-15 minutes a night and try to complete a Bug Club book at least every two weeks. The date started and completed, book title and comment about the book should be entered by your child. Please check your child’s reading record on a weekly basis and sign/comment if you read with your child. Paper books can be read in conjunction with the online books and can also be recorded in the reading record book. Remember, each recorded read counts towards the 100 reads award.
- We would like the children to read as much as possible and we would encourage you to enjoy reading with your child at home. This can be any form of reading: online Bug Club books comics, stories, newspapers, library books etc.
- Please encourage your child to continue using Times Tables Rock Stars. Being able to recall multiplication facts at speed will obviously help with multiplication and division calculations and also with work on fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Please ensure that every item of your child’s uniform, P.E. kit and school bag are clearly labelled with their name.
- Children are expected to come to school dressed in their PE kit on their designated days. If your child wears earrings, we ask that these are removed before they come to school on these days.
- Named water bottles should be brought into school each day and the children will be reminded each afternoon to take them home to wash and refill them.
- Please ensure sun-cream is applied at home and sent to school for your child to reapply at lunch time when it is hot and sunny.
- You will receive regular updates about your child’s learning in school via their Seesaw account. You can send a private message if you wish to communicate with me about your child.
- If your child walks to/from school without an adult, then they are permitted to bring a mobile phone if you wish. Phones should be switched off when they arrive on the school premises and should not be switched back on until they leave the premises. Phones will be kept in a box in the classroom for the duration of the school day.
- A meeting about the National SAT tests will be held in the New Year. The tests will take place in the week beginning 9th May 2022.
- Class fund would be greatly appreciated and can now be sent to school via ParentPay. These donations go towards extra food items for taste testing or cooking and any consumable extras we need to purchase.
We welcome you back with great excitement and look forward to completing the final year of your child’s South Failsworth learning journey with them.
Enjoy Year 6!